23rd edition. Welcome to the newsletter Dr. Waasdorp (Wilderness Medicine Fellow). House Kuehl made up some ground last week due to stellar participation in the trauma conference. House Clinton remains in the lead by the slightest of margins. It all comes down to the Rosh Review Quiz!
Interview Dinners/Lunches – None this week due to the holidays.
Rosh Review – quizzes for the block will be assigned Monday, be on the lookout.
Residency Thanksgiving – Zach Williams and his wife Emily have been gracious enough to host. ThisWednesday, 11/27 @ 6:45pm, 2529 Mount Pleasant Blvd SE. He has suggested carpooling/Uber due to limited parking. Significant others and children welcome but no dogs. Sign up sheet for what to bring is belowhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sgDsWqBbjarzN9SIWfs1oRpG0XQiZIlwqyyguqxb3JE/edit
Perfect Serve – is live and working great… Couple reminders, if you are in the ED at RMH you may still put the consults in through EPIC and MedCom will do the paging for you. If you are not in the ED, one helpful tip is to go to contacts > groups > whatever specialty if you need to get ahold of a consultant. There is usually a separate listing for residents like “orthopedic residents”. There is a tutorial online that is very helpful and worth taking the time to do. Spend a little time now to save a lot of time down the line.
Turkey Trot Volunteer Opportunity – Still one spot left if you are interested. Let me know ASAP. It starts at 8am on Thanksgiving morning. Easy way to fulfill your annual volunteer hours.
Wilderness Medicine Updates – Per Dr Lareau’s previous email:1) The Carilion Clinic WM Committee will be meeting on Dec 5 in the Riverside 1, 4th floor EM education conference room at 6pm. Please try to attend.
2) We still have 2 spots open for Bonaire if anyone else is interested (Dec 7-14)
3) Our next journal club is Dec 18th at Ben Davis’s home. He will send more info.
4) We will be teaching Wilderness First Aid to Roanoke cycling coaches Jan 7, 8, 13, 14 from 5:30p-9:30p. Let me know which date(s) you are available. All help is appreciated!
5) Jeremy is organizing a WM night at Big Lick brewery on Jan 15. He will be looking for volunteers to help and everyone should come support this cause!
6) WMS Conference Sun Valley ID: Let me know if you are planning to attend, expected dates and if you’d like to split housing. We can do a group AirBnb and coordinate flights/ care. Feb 29-March 4.https://wms.org/conferences/sunvalley20/
7) We will be helping with Vinton EMS CE on March 13 from 6p-10p. Save the date. More info TBA.
Interns – Foundations modules for this month are Ortho 20, Trauma 11, Trauma 10
Ortho 20 – https://foundationsem.com/neurology-msk/
Hippo: Knee, shoulder, forearm
Trauma 10,11 – https://foundationsem.com/trauma/
Hippo: intro, chest, head/neck 1, eye 2
PGY2/3 – Aliemu modules on ortho upper extremity & lower extremity. Complete for 1-hour lecture credit.
Conference:None this week, Happy Thanksgiving!
PGY 2/3 – Schedule is posted. Please look through it and identify any issues.
Podcast/Blog post of the Week: Crunch time for ortho, worth posting again. EMRap’s crunch time summary of ortho is 45 chapters and about 1 hour 45 minutes. https://www.emrap.org/episode/ortho/achillestendon
|Crunch Time – Achilles Tendon Rupture | EM:RAPOrtho Full episode audio for MD edition 110:40 min – 154 MB – M4A Crunch Time EM – Ortho – Individual MP3 Files 130 MB – ZIP Crunch Time EM – Ortho – Written Summary 370 KB – PDFwww.emrap.org|